Monday 3 September 2012

Dating a Massage Therapist

Guest Blogger: Mark Perry

Tough Mudder. Toronto 2012
When people find out I date a massage therapist, their eyes light up with envy and mine roll. They always say "WOW! You're SO lucky!!" I tend to agree with them, I am a pretty lucky guy in terms of who I am currently dating, but it's not at all because she is a massage therapist. The fact is, I don't let her near me when she is in massage/sadist mode. I have tried to enjoy massages, but I just can't seem to find the pleasure or therapy surrounding this therapeutic technique. I have been in severe pain after some races and I have let her "caress" my tender muscles as a last resort, but this often leads to writhing, screaming, jumping and cursing. The "massage" ends soon after.
Krista has also mentioned in a previous blog post that the last thing she wants to do when she gets home from a day of massaging is do another massage. I agree with her professionalism that I should book an appointment at her clinic and pay the receptionist just like everyone else. In a profession that struggles to gain credibility in society, people don't need to be hearing that I get special massages at home whether I pay for them or not.
Three Years
In all seriousness, it is not easy dating a massage therapist. It is a very difficult profession that takes its toll on one's body and emotions. It is not easy seeing your partner come home from a long day of work nearly broken--physically and emotionally. It's not easy learning about another client of hers who died today. I don't know them, but I see the toll it takes on Krista. She's the strongest and most compassionate woman I know, but everyone has a breaking point. Her forearms are stronger than most mens', but at what cost? I brag about them to try and be positive, although something tells me that Krista couldn't care less about ripped forearms.

Krista has home clients as well. This is common for such a profession. When a massage therapist works as hard as Krista does, it's not easy to find time to spend with someone else. It's easy to plan around my 9-5 job, but it proves quite difficult to catch a movie around her home and clinic clients...forget a last minute weekend getaway. We make it work using google calendar and day planners. It also gives us something to look forward to. We sit down every month or two to plan out activities we can do together. If you're a fly by the seat of your pants type of person, you won't see much of Krista. In addition to me, friends and family must also be scheduled into her agenda.  She's not Hollywood, it's just how the profession rolls. When you are as good at something as Krista is at massage therapy, you are in high demand.


Black Tie Event for Team Christmas Party. Montreal 2011

I have learned to adapt. There are positives and negatives associated with dating a massage therapist. This can be said about any profession, especially those that are physically demanding. If you want to date a massage therapist, be prepared for a chaotic schedule. If you can handle that, you will find yourself in ....good hands. 

9 comments:

  1. Happy to see your blog .I am very much interested on the topic.I want to visit the site for other interesting topics.
    massage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this information. If you are making a search for Massage for pain then you are at right place. We, at our website, are offering complete information about the modern massage and method of pressurizing. The best part of it is that this information is free of cost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Massage therapy is basically for giving some relaxation and stress free body if any one have some stress and body pain than they need massage therapy for that.
    Sourced: massage therapy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your website is so informative for me keep it up please,
    RMT massage Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dating a massage therapist may even prove to be harder than dating a stripper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging...
    Manual Lymph Drainage

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific post however , I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this topic? I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Many thanks!RMT massage

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, It is a very nice blog, Thank you for sharing your informative blog, I also look for a RMT massage.Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete