Sunday 2 September 2012

Home Visits

This is a very rewarding piece of my practice.

Home visits refer to me being able to go into the home of a client and provide them with a Massage Therapy treatment. I bring everything needed for the massage--portable massage table that weighs approximately 30-35 pounds (it practically lives in the trunk of my car), sheets, and lotion. It can be benefical financially for an R.M.T. to see home clients but one has to factor in travel time and set-up.

I am fortunate to be trusted in so many clients' homes. One benefit of getting a massage in your home is that you, the client, doesn't need to be on time for an appointment--I must be. After a massage, many clients feel relaxed and ready to rest or even go to bed. Having a massage in your own home is great because you don't have to worry about going outside, or getting home to relax because you are already there.

I have a few home clients who are able bodied and very healthy who just prefer to enjoy their massages at home. I also have clients who find it easier to have an R.M.T. come to their home because they may have a medical condition or mobility concerns that make it difficult for them to leave the home without some great effort. I find these clients to be very rewarding for me.

Sometimes, I may have a client recently involved in a motor vehicle accident (M.V.A.),  or maybe they have a condition such as Amyotrophic Lateral Schlerosis (A.L.S.), more commonly known as Lou Gehrigs Disease. Since I also specialize in Lymphedema Therapy, I see clients who have Lymphedema as a side-effect to cancer treatments. Those clients who have cancer may have low energy and find it exhausting to leave the house. I also see clients who are terminally ill and are looking for a gentle massage to bring comfort and relaxation to their body, or to reduce edema from an underlying condition.
 
I feel blessed to be trusted by these clients and their family members. It is not an easy time for anyone surrounding that individual. Being invited bedside gives me a direct view of the emotions, and decisions the client and the family are going through. I feel so much love surrounding this individual.

It may seem that this type of client is very difficult to see for me as a therapist, emotionally. I do know that many therapists have said they would not be able to do it. Do I get sad? Yes, but I feel that I am also playing a vital role in their journey. No one should be in pain or discomfort at the end of their life. A massage can ease pain and discomfort for an individual even if it is only temporarily. Family members are watching me very closely. I feel the relief they feel when they see that their loved one is sleeping comfortably or has a relaxed smile on their face because of the touch they receive. I had one woman whose eyes lit up when she saw me come into the room after I had seen her a few times. She knew why I was there, and I hope I provided her with some comfort.

For those who know my family, you know that my dad is a Funeral Director. I was raised in a home that taught me death is a natural process of life (with some exceptions). I also learned families grieve the loss of a loved one differently, and how we must show
 respect after death. Since it was common conversation around the dinner table, I must say, without hesitation, that I am comfortable speaking about the topic of death and dying. 

When one looks at the larger picture of working with the terminally ill, you can't help but feel grateful for your own life. You will feel grateful for your own health, for the loved ones you have with you, for our health care system, and for life insurance, or critical illness insurance. It will push you to pursue your purpose, your goals, and to reach out to others more because you never know how long you will have on this earth.

Leaving you on a happier note: Homes occasionally have pets, and many pets are curious about my arrival. Some could care less. I am always entertained by animals that need to be close to their owner; Picture a pug that needs to be on the table with its owner while I give the massage. I frequently use olive oil as my massage oil, and the pug would constantly be licking the olive oil off my client while I was giving the massage. Cats love my massage table 
bag and can't wait for me to get it off and on the floor so that they can climb in it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment