Wednesday 29 August 2012

Best Ever


So what was the best massage you have ever had?

Was it a specific Massage Therapist that really knew what they were doing to relax tense muscles, or was it a specific atmosphere that made it an ideal setting for a massage?

I am very fortunate to have heard many times that I was “the best massage” a client ever received. It is a huge boost to our professional confidence when a client says this. I have heard this from regular clients who may have seen me a few times, new clients who have had many massages, and I have even heard it from those with a celebrity status. Those are certainly highlights in my career.

The fact is that it is all individual preference. Finding a good Massage Therapist, the one that is right for you, is the same as finding your perfect hairstylist. Once you find them, you don’t want to let them go. On the other hand, if a Massage Therapist is not the right fit, there should be no hard feelings if you want to continue your search. I am continually amazed that each Massage Therapist in Ontario has more or less gone through the same instruction necessary to complete their diploma, yet how the Massage Therapist interprets it, and makes it into their own style, is completely different in the outcome. It’s not right or wrong, but it is very unlikely you will find two massages who will be exactly the same.

There are some massage sessions where I will feel that I could have given the client more and feel that I wasn’t at my best. To my surprise, the client will come out of the massage beaming and very happy with their treatment. There will be other times when I feel that I am giving everything I have to a client for his or her treatment, and when I ask how they are feeling at the end they might respond “ok, I guess.”

Some of my favourite stories of “the best massage ever” usually involve the client on vacation and they get a massage on the beach. Trust me, I have been there and yes it was an incredible experience but I wouldn’t say it was the best massage ever. Believe it or not, even with my favourite Massage Therapists, I am still searching for “the best massage.”

Any suggestions? 

No comments:

Post a Comment