Wednesday 15 August 2012

Why Did You Become A Massage Therapist?


One of the most common questions I receive as a Registered Massage Therapist is: "Why did I become a Massage Therapist?" I suppose it is a common question when meeting anyone for the first time and learning more about what they do and how they got started. 

I am fortunate that for as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be a Massage Therapist. I have been blessed with the gift of Massage. It was my grandmother who nurtured this gift by asking me for massages before she went to bed. This was when I was as young as two years old and continued until her sudden passing in 1999 when I was sixteen years old.

Giving Grandma a Massage. Vancouver, 1985 
Since I was told I was naturally good at something, it only made sense that I should pursue it as a career. At this point, I was also giving massages to my friends, and even when I tried a "new technique" that I assumed would not be desired (just to get out of giving the massage sometimes), it turned out to be a hit. It would also turn out to be an actual technique that I would learn once I attended Massage Therapy School. 

My post secondary goal also included attending Queen’s University, simply because I wanted to be attached to the Queen’s name, and the campus is beautiful.  Since Queen’s did not offer Massage Therapy :P I chose to take a B.A. in Arts majoring in English and whenever anybody would ask what I was going to do with the degree I would answer, “Massage Therapy” and leave them confused and curious.

My B.A. was completed in April 2005, and in the same month I was enrolled in the Massage Therapy Program at CDI College (currently Everest) in Ottawa, ON. How I arrived in Ottawa, after Kingston, is another blog entirely J

And now you know the start of my journey in Massage Therapy. I look forward to taking you along over six years in the profession. 

Until next time, take care!
Krista Dicks, R.M.T. 

Learn more about my practice as a Registered Massage Therapist

No comments:

Post a Comment