Thursday 16 August 2012

Your Boyfriend is so Lucky!


One of the many perks to being an R.M.T. is that when you tell people what you do, their eyes light up and they are very happy to have met you! “Oh reallllly?” they might say with a big smile. It is a joy to have a career that (most) people know what you do and are excited to come and see you at your workplace. Massage Therapy is still working on being recognized as a completely different massage than the one some may think of...think neon signs. So please don’t associate that type of massage with what a Registered Massage Therapist does because an R.M.T. will put you in your place if you even suggest it.  Consider yourself warned.

Because (almost) everyone loves massages, they assume it must be amazing to date a Massage Therapist. Think of all the free, anytime, and anywhere, massages! I often get the comment “your boyfriend is a really lucky guy!” Actually, he’s not. Do you like bringing your work home? After working for 8 hours a day doing whatever it is you do, do you really want to do one more hour off the clock? Didn’t think so.

I am sure there are much nicer Massage Therapists out there than me, but I adamantly refuse to give my boyfriend a massage at home. For me, it’s about conserving energy, and maintaining professional standards. Our profession is a giving profession and we do our best everyday to help our clients feel better.  Depending on the day, it can be very exhausting physically, mentally, and emotionally.  This is part of the profession that many may not realize exists. It’s more than a massage; we are working with human beings in a vulnerable condition. When we come home, we want to recharge. 

Many Massage Therapists will ask their spouses/ partners to book an appointment at their clinic. This is a great idea! It maintains professionalism, doesn’t add on to the day, and Massage Therapists feel more in their “zone” as they are working in their professional environment. 

I may be the one that is lucky though, because my boyfriend hates my massages (gasp!).  And maybe I am a bit harder on him than I would be to a regular client, but he simply cannot tolerate my techniques and pressure. I still encourage him to see my colleagues though, which he is working up the nerve to do.

Visit the website for Align Massage Therapy to learn more about my colleagues and the Massage Therapy techniques they specialize in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment