Thursday 23 August 2012

Knotty


Once I get hands on with a client, they will typically comment, “I’m really tense right?” Or “I have a lot of knots right?” As a professional, it is always best to agree with the client. Knots and tension are common for every body type and lifestyle. I have a few clients who have wanted to be known as my “knottiest client”, but to be honest I don’t compare because each body is so different. I’m sorry to say, there is no prize for winning “most tense” nor should you be proud of winning it. My goal for each session is to try to manipulate the tissue, relax and release the knots and tension. Some tension is completely normal in order for the body to feel stabilized. We don’t stop moving our bodies, so there will always be something that feels tense and needs work. Many of my clients are involved with repetitive activity (i.e.sitting at a computer desk all day) so the muscles involved with this activity will be more tense, and it may actually be difficult to relax them in the long-term. Knots can also be the result of stress. Even if we do not feel stressed, our body finds ways to manifest it. Women tend to hold stress in their upper back and shoulders, while men typically hold stress in their lower back.

One of my favourite questions is, “how do I get rid of the tension?”
My advice is usually “more massages” and “stretch the muscles during and after the activity that aggravates them.” The alternative and my favourite answer is, “move to a secluded island and drink piña coladas everyday.” I have yet to hear of a client who has taken me up on this advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment