Friday 31 August 2012

Colleagues

There are so many great things I can say about my Registered Massage Therapy Colleagues. The best ones are the ones I work with in the clinic. Each bring their own unique touch to the profession. Each one has a speciality from Reflexology, Indian Head Massage, Bowen, or MyoFasial Release. Surrounding myself with those who have these additional skills is an asset to any client visiting the clinic. Surrounding myself with R.M.T.'s who have something different to offer than I can provide, is an asset to me.

I have my own "tool box" to work from, but the beauty is that if the client is still not satisfied with their progress, or if my skills have reached their limitations, I consider it a sign of professional strength that I can refer my client to another professional. Especially since the professional is within the same clinic, the client can remain where they have established a level of comfort, trust, and it benefits the clinic overall. I also try to get massages from each of my colleagues at the clinic (tough job, eh?). This way, I get an idea of the style that each Massage Therapist provides. If the needs of a client come up, I will know exactly who to send them to. If they have a question about a particular technique they saw on the clinic website, I can speak about it from experience. If I am going away, and the client would like to continue massage with a similar style, I know the therapist that can provide them with the pressure and technique that is most like mine.

It is even better when the colleagues I work with are like friends and family and we can spend time with each other outside of the clinic. It is great to see the support when celebrating events such as a new baby, a bachelorette, or even a going away brunch. It doesn't always happen that the R.M.T.'s I work with mix so well together, but I am very fortunate we do at our clinic.

It has happened that I have been curious about the skills of an R.M.T. in the city and reached out to them to get together for a coffee or tea in order to get to know them better. On occasion, surprisingly, I have been met with resistence and he/she would question my motives for meeting with them. "I'm really busy, Krista" or "What is this really about?" Seriously, I just want to know more about them and their practice. This way, if I ever have a client that can benefit from his/her services I can refer accordingly. Some Massage Therapists have been known to be competitive and possessive of clients. This doesn't help the client or the profession as a whole. Sadly, some do not understand. I am truly sorry that you are too busy to network since word of mouth is our best way to advertise.

To learn more about my fabulous colleagues, check out Align Massage Therapy 







No comments:

Post a Comment